Thursday, December 2, 2004

I Think We Can, I Think We Can ...

  Good morning ... Don’t know what to say this morning ... ‘cept it’s a Dr. M. day. Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! Probably need this more than I’d like to admit. In the middle of a tough depressing life. Shoot, we’re going to be more positive this morning ... we are.

Yesterday wasn’t such a bad day ... Most of it was work. But, that wasn’t a bad thing. A good day is when there isn’t so much down time resisting the work. Yesterday was pretty much like that. We’re still losing time first thing, but I guess that’s normal. I guess most people go through start-up routines in the morning. I’m actually very happy to have a job that allows some discretionary time. Umm, not that its being handed to us, but its worked its way in. First thing in the morning is reserved for mail, email, and whomever might drop by. It’s a kind of free time for the staff and clients too, so if there was trouble the night before or first thing in the morning, they are apt to stop in.

I was aware first thing that I wanted to get some work done ... so, I picked up another annual. One had been finished the day before, so there was just two more to go. This one had been a little tougher because I needed to figure out a new goal. More and more often the clients are getting these neat new goals that show a little more creativity. This client’s goal had something to do with food groups. In summary, she’s fairly low functioning, but we wanted her to concentrate on what she was eating. So, we spent some time with our print shop program and pulled together a little more than 50 pictures of food. No big deal, I suppose, but I had had fun with it and it looked pretty cool. In the process of time, the DSP had also been creative. She had cut out smaller pictures, but neat ones of food and had laminated them. Since my pictures were grouped on sheets by their food group, they’ll both be used. Ours will serve as a mat and the client will learn to match, sort, and categorize. I think it’s a good goal for her.

As that was all happening, we realized ... that we hadn’t made goal data sheets or sets of goal/objective sheets for this particular client and two others. So, we did catch-up work with that also. We were feeling pretty efficient! At one point of the morning also, Sr. Tess caught up with us. She needed to have job descriptions for two positions to go with a grant project she was writing up. She needed me to do the job descriptions for a grant writer and a therapist. I felt really good about being asked. She used to have me do this sort of thing before, but its been awhile. She even cleared up one of the chairs in her office for us to sit down. Its been soooo long since we sat in her office working "with her" on a project. But, somehow she’d accepted us again. As it turned out, we figured it would be easier if she just let us do the whole thing and I think she was actually happy to get the project off her desk. It didn’t take long to accomplish and we’d felt appreciated after it was done. Sweet!

This next couple of days is going to be a little busier with meetings. We’ll have a staff training meeting today. I’ll have to figure out whether we have one more on abuse and neglect or start something new. And, then tomorrow is the first Friday, so we’ll have an Administration meeting and then a staff meeting. I’ve arranged to have the First Aid/CPR guy come in ... no small feat! That will be a long 3 hour meeting I’m afraid. Sure wish I could get out of going to that one. We’ll try. I’ve missed the last 2-3 years :). I know we should be certified with the rest of them, just it takes so much time out of a busy schedule. I’m afraid Sr. Tess is thinking we don’t have so much to be doing, but in reality there are alll those Qnotes. I’ve got just the one Annual report to write up today, planning for the staff training meeting, then I would like to go over the client files looking for missing data. Usually, we do this in January, but I have gotten a jump start on it and want to have it in great shape by February. It’s already looking much better than the year before. It helps to have the state people in every month.

We’re getting very excited about being so close to vacation. I still believe I’m going to take home a ton of work, but it will be worth while doing especially if I could get things caught up before the new year. Not really sure how much work it will be, but guessing quite a bit. Hmm, how am I going to do the mechanics? Lot of stuff to be bringing home. Let’s see I need the client’s goal data sheets, the goal history book, the monthly satisfaction reports, and the DSP chrononotes. Is that the basics? Need to pull this together for 21 people. Today is the 2nd ... hmm, satisfaction on the 5th. Maybe we should send out a note today about getting the work in on time. I don’t have to worry about Group IB, IA should be trained properly, 2 and 4 are always behind, and 3 is caught up, but there’s quite a few reports. Maybe I should plan to do Group 3's first ... umm that would be a goal of 6 completed. Next priority the three in Group 1A. She is new and might need some extra help. The other big group, 1B has 7 and they will be good for over the break. And the 5 with the last two groups could be also done on break. Hmm, that’s pretty good so far. So 9 before break and 12 during break. Doable, doable. Have to set a goal then of 9 clear days for a client per each day. That mean up to 9 Qnotes a day. Think we can do 12, so that’s not so bad. Now 9 days?

Lets’ see ... let’s see ... 2nd and 3rd for finishing one annual, meetings and start going through files. 6th and 7th finish file work and should we include purging the files? Maybe... 8th, 9th 10th, 13th, 14th, and 15th Group 3 Qnotes. Then take 4 days 16th, 17th, 20th, and 21rst to do three in group 1A. That allows for another staff training set-up and doctors appointment early day on the 17th. It would also leave 22nd open for gathering loose paperwork, or catching up ... Then between 23rd and January 2nd I could do just one a day, except one day do two. Man-o-man ... sure be good to have these all caught up before the 3rd when we return. Have a doctor day then too. Then that first week tend to the files again and get staff training notes up to date also make sure paperwork is in for the two new staff. Hmm, getting another staff after Thanksgiving too. Hmm. 2nd week January take care of that months notes. Have to start up annuals again too. Keep caught up! I think this is doable. As soon as the February notes in ... files will be cleaned up for State inspection and we can start back with the CARF stuff. Think there might be just one or two annuals left, then should have most the next three months cleared of annual work. Shoot, gotta spend a day getting psychological reports in ... might have to include that in the work of next Monday, Tuesday (6th and 7th). Better count on purging files while looking through them for missing paperwork. Good, good two birds with one stone.

Ya know ... I think this is doable! Yeeks! Time for work!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see your energy up!
V