Saturday, December 18, 2004

Little Intermission

Evening ... Just us. We’re taking a little break in the writing here. I know it isn’t usual for us to be writing in the evening, but we’re trying to calm ourselves down a bit. We’ve gotten our thoughts all tangled up and in need of sorting. Nothing tremendously good or bad, so you can all sit back in your chairs.

We’re trying something new for us. We’re making meat. Hehe I think this is what is called, "cooking." It occurred to me about 45 minutes ago, I should have probably added some kind of seasoning to the meat. But, I didn’t know what to add. The meat is roast. I haven’t made a roast for about 15 years. We put it with a few vegetable in the crock pot and added water ... like stew. I wonder if I should have cut said meat up? Eh. We’ll see. It’s a food experiment. Yep folks, this is the scary stuff that details my brain. *Sigh*

We’re pretty much on our own today. We’ve had contact with the outside world through a few friends. One of them, it seems, we’d done our best to alienate. You heard it ... fight, fight! You see, he wanted to come over and make us breakfast. But, the original date had been set for Friday and postponed ‘til Saturday. But, now we were talking Sunday. By this time we were upset. Instead of saying we’re mad, or you are making us cry again, we got mean. I should have seen it coming. The 1rst nasty comment, our friend said, that’s one. He must have known our style, because he was counting. A couple of sentences float by and then I say the 2nd stupid thing. This is an IM remember. You can really go back and see when the conversation starts to fall apart. My friend says that’s #2. He adds, Why? I am a nice guy. Here is where we throw all caution to the wind. We said the 3rd stupid thing. Three quiet minutes float by. By now our face is hot and the tears slide quickly down our face. We start to beg out. We acknowledge that we are being nasty and need to retreat. We needed to get a handle on ourselves. By this time writing two or three sentences he conveys there was no reason to hurt him just because I was hurt. Then he left to fold socks.

It kind of hung over our morning like a bad flu. We took a long nap. Woke up feeling guilty as hell. We wrote an email apologizing. Later he read the note and wrote another saying he’d be over in the morning. We sent another note saying we would be happy to see him. It’s over now ... the fight. ‘Cept there will be a few moment of uncomfortableness tomorrow morning. Maybe I should be waiting at the door naked. That would alter events.  Not sure ... maybe he will have thought to have just brought sweet donuts. Neither of us like to fight. *Sigh*

I wonder how long it takes roast to get roasted?

We don’t want to talk about work. It’s like happening, but I’d rather be thinking only 3 days left before vacation. YAYYYYY! We’re still bringing work home, but that’s the breaks. There’s a big project on the table with the Qnotes and I want to bring it to its knees. That’s it ... enough work talk.

We’ve had a couple of Dr. M. meetings go past without written notes. Not sure how much is still with me memory wise. I think mostly we’ve been talking about writing "the book." We’re still having a hard time believing this is what we’re actually doing. Cuz. I never done it before. I aked Dr. M. where is this coming from? We’ve never ever written a story before not a real one ... well maybe there were a few, but this was different. We’re making ourselves an outline and everything. I’ve never used outlines before. Now they seem like the handiest things on Earth. Thank you Microsoft! Your system is smooth! Dr. M. just smiled. He said the ability to write has been there all along. We just never tried. I thought, "Wow!" Blows us away...

There have been a lot of parts out talking about the writing process. If I were to pick out a general theme in our thoughts, I’d have to say there are quite a few caught up in the fact that we’re lying. We’ve not lived nearly the life we’re writing about. Dr. M. tried to explain to Casey her level of turmoil. He asked her what was her favorite story. She said, Charlotte’s Web. He said, ok ... in real life the author probably had owned or known a real pig. She said, Uh huh. Then he said, but she probably never had a real pig who talked. But, its not really lying.  It was like, Oh. That’s about as far as she got. Kind of blew her away I’m afraid. She’s still in the figurin stage. Fiction is tough, especially because as we’re writing little bits of our real life slip in. Dr. M. is telling us that all writer’s do that. Then we go back to thinking, hmm. I’m writing? Is it for real? Does it sound like a book?

Oh man! We did it, we really did it! We made roast! Best roast we ever ate actually! Maybe could still be improved by adding some kind of spice. Have to figure that part out next. Pretty sure our friend will know that part. Handy thing he’s coming over tomorrow. We had putthe meat with small potatoes, carrots, and onion slices into the crock pot with about 2/3rds water. Not sure if that’s the proper way, but man ... very impressed!

We’ve got our mind planned out. We’re going to relax in a little bit and step away from the computer. There’s a PBS Holiday special with songs coming up and we’d like to open one of those new books we’ve got. Yep, yep ... we’re practicing being on vacation. I can’t say I concentrated too much on that football game that was on. But, we’re in the zone.

Like to work out a few details of the next chapter before we settle back. We’ve got the scene and the characters, but we’re still working on the general how things move around part. I know the general reason the next chapter is getting written just have to do some more figuring. After a day of not doing too much writing, you can bet we’re going to want to spend time on it come the early hours we love so much. Can’t tell you how much fun we’re having. It’s like inheriting a whole family or two! And, I’m being very, very happily surprised that you all are reading ... just doesn’t get any better than this! Thank you!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I`m glad that you & your friend straightened out your problem. Have a great breakfast!  Sounds like Dr. M is proud of you!
Yeaaa!!!   You made a roast!  I`ll bet it tastes great!
Waitin` on Chapter 6!!
{{{ hugs }}}
V

Anonymous said...

{{{{AynEtAl}}}}},

I've had my share of food experiments in the kitchens of my life. I'm a great eater and a lousy cook....as far as cooking instincts go...I can follow any recipe, but I can't throw something together.   Friends can be 'trying' can't they...especially those of the male variety!

Vivian

Anonymous said...

Ayn--

I am SO loving this story! It just kind of pulls one in, you're doing a wonderful job! Dr. M is right- the biggest code a writer lives by is "Write about what you know!" (This is because, if they attempted to write about things they have absolutely NO CLUE about, we would realize they are idiots, other people would tell them so, NOBODY would buy their books, & they'd be all penniless & despondant.) And I like how you are tying everything together....is it time for Chapter 7 yet????? PLEASE?????

Okay, now about the roast--

Some of the best cooking creations are accidents. Heck, CEREAL was an accident, & see how big THAT is? So, I say, congrats! Whenever my mum makes a roast, she always puts salt, pepper, and some garlic on it, then the water, then she turns on the crock pot & VOILA! :-D (And no, you don't have to cut it up. This is good for me, cos I don't like touching raw meat.)

MUCH love,
Miss Anna (The not-Annalisa Anna!) :-D

Anonymous said...

Ayn, I haven't been to visit in a while. Maybe even before my modem problems happened in the fall. What a surprise I found here! A book, unfolding before my very eyes! Now, I'm going to have to go back to where this story begins, I seem to have caught the story somewhere in the middle. I have adult ADD, and it's hard for me to stay focused on stories unless they really grab my attention. THIS is great, dear! What a remarkable talent.

The roast sounds great. Now, I'm craving a good pot roast like yours. Sounds just like the way I cook mine. As for the spices; I use either garlic cloves or I sprinkle garlic powder over it along with salt and pepper. Sometimes, instead of water, I pour about a half a can of coke over it. It adds flavor and makes it very tender. Mmmm! Now, I have to go to the grocery store to buy a roast, lol!

Thanks for sharing your writing with us.
Love you!

Anonymous said...

I am so enjoying your story!  I just wanted to encourage you to keep up the awesome work!  This is great!  ::Still Reading::

~Jaime