Tuesday, May 17, 2005

The Passing of a King

    My oldest son just called about 20 minutes ago to let me know that his grandfather had died five minutes before.  I feel devastated for the boys and the families' loss.  The family has only known of his cancer for the last year.  It was too late to give him treatment.  It had spread throughout his body.  He died at home as were his wishes.  The last few weeks he was only up for 15 minutes at a time, but he held fully to his mind and heart's ability.       

Mr. Garvey, was my son's namesake.  My son is the 5th.  The boys have always been very close to this set of Grandparents.  They are everything known of being a proud, strong close-knit  Irish Catholic family.  Mr. Garvey, like his father, were attorney's.  The boys grandfather, prior to retirement had been one of the top four malpractice lawyers in the United States.  He defended doctors specializing in heart and brain.  At one point, he was the President of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association and known in Springfield.        

He was survived by his wife (Marie), six children, and thirteen grandchildren, and two great grandchildren and has left homes in River Forest, Illinois, St. Joseph, Michigan, and Marco Island, Florida.  For 15 years, I had loved him as my father-in-law and felt more respect for him than my own father.  But, divorce is terrible in that it tears families apart.  I saw him last at my son's wedding four years ago.  He was always a gentleman and loving toward me.  His passing is an understated loss.   

Peace be found ...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I`m so sorry for your family`s loss. Mr. Garvey sounds like a great man.
{{{ Hugs }}}
V

Anonymous said...

So sorry for your son's loss & yours. *Barb *
http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/THERESTOFTHESTORY

Anonymous said...

{{{{{ AynEtAl }}}}}   I am sorry for your loss.....it sounds like your father in law was a wonderful man whom you will always have fond memories of.......I, too, have felt the effects of divorce separating me from in laws that I truly loved being around.   :(

Hold on to the wonderful memories!

Vivian