Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Don't Know ... Just Don't Really Know ...

 
Morning … morning … How is everyone?  This will be just a short email because we’re already at work.  We took care of the 80 (2nd) emails during the early hours this morning, so ran short on writing time.
 
I apologize to Sandy, who was earmarked for that particular project … just get so nervous letting projects sit for too long while so close to the deadline.  I guess you could say we’re not only finicky, but impatient.  These are not very lovely qualities in a woman.  L  I’m sorry.  We’re hoping Sandy will forgive us, and maybe help out with the next set of mailings. 
 
By my estimation there are still about 200 to go out, and if there were extra time, we would send out a second mailing to those who didn’t respond to the first of this second set.  That’s it … won’t bother the journalists more than that, but already from the 5 responses sent back before 8 am this morning, people are appreciative of the second opportunity to participate.  I hope so, at least.  I don’t want to be bothering people who don’t want to be bothered with it.  *Sigh*
 
For a short recap at work … we finished the Annual Report yesterday.  I think it looks real good.  Not sure of Sr.’s opinion.  The last task had been to complete a summary of the Client’s Satisfaction Surveys.  The clients fill out surveys once a month all year long, so there are quite a few to go through.
 
 This year, we collected information from each of the programs they commented on and included as well some of the stray comments that didn’t fit into the normal pattern.  There are 456 documents with 7 questions each … so a total of 3,192 responses.  I was able to condense it to one nicely spaced and efficient page.  But, when I handed it to sister, besides her complaining of it taking so long (2 days), she complained that there was too much information.   It’s this kind of thing that makes me want to just go home that much earlier each day.  It’s hard for me not to put out my best work effort … just negativity wears on me real heavily.
 
We also had a client Annual meeting yesterday.  I thought it went real well, with the exception of the DSP’s report.  She wasn’t prepared and made general statements such as … “She seems to be doing pretty good,” or “We did art.”  It is ok if those were introduction sentences to something more complete, but this was all the thought that the DSP was carrying in her head of the subject.  Sister let it be known that she was unhappy with the situation.  For our part of the meeting, beside the facilitating role, we have a very complete 2 page report to summarize including the work on goals and therapists.  I guess nothing to do, but say we’ll work on it with the DSPs.  Sister wants us  to include it in the next staff meeting.  Maybe we can make some progress on the issue.
 
We left for home right at 4 pm last night … There was a big project going on over at our house.  The bookshelves (unassembled) were to be delivered first thing in the morning and our friend had taken off a day to see that project through.  Man-o-man … I was in no way prepared for the progress he had made or the amount of work he was able to accomplish.  He put in a 16 hour day.  It was just incredible … I said I’m going to owe to a very big favor … his response was, “You’ll owe me big favors for the next 5 years!” 
 
Insert *nervous giggle* here!  Hehehe
 
First thing he did was to carry up three flights of stairs six long heavy 87 pound boxes.  Keep in mind none of this is done with assistance.  Then he removed almost everything out of my living room which included 80 feet of pressed board/brick shelves, a small couch, a desk, and a table.  Oh … and all the 80 feet of books too! 
 
You’d think this was enough for any great effort.  But, then he progressed to put together five of the six bookshelves.  They were VERY unassembled to start with.  Even the trim pieces had to be attached to the frame.  You want the part that really tips the camel?  After he was done with that … He put all the books back on the shelves and brought back in a smaller desk so I could reconnect my laptop to the Internet.  And, did I mention he took all the old shelving, bricks and empty boxes down three flights of stairs to the dumpster??  The bricks were those half bricks, but still we’re talking 16 bricks!!
 
I want to call him this morning and check on him, but I’m afraid.  Maybe he’ll decide to find a better friend without so many books?  And, you know what?  He never complained, nor got grouchy.  He just kept on doing one thing after another.  It was almost scary.  I asked him at one point …if he had to swear at all throughout the day.  He said, “Only once, before he started assembling them on the floor, he had the shelves resting on two cushioned chairs and it had fell off while he was getting the phone.  Like Wow… and then … he wouldn’t even let us pay for the pizza. 
 
There wasn’t much I could do, but sit and watch him in awe.  Once he let me get him a screwdriver.  It was more magical than Disney!  I’d watch his smooth movements, and then just look lovingly at the wonderful book cases.  By trade he is responsible for managing and bringing in work to a workshop for a couple of hundred individuals in a rehab facility.  Most of the work they do is in assembling.  He reminded me of that when I asked him how he knew what to do… Part of his job is to do time studies so that not one hand or wrist movement is wasted.  Just an artistic endeavor!
 
I didn’t know though … In ten years, I’d never asked him this kind of favor. 
 
I had a tremendous amount of positive feelings about the bookcases too.  There are three placed together on one 7 ½ foot space of wall (75” tall).  And then, so far, two on the opposite wall … he was trying to convince me to put the sixth on a third wall on its own … it would be next to one of the couch ends.  He said than I could put my table/desk closer to the wall (next to the shelves and not in front of them).  Let me tell you though … this isn’t the kind of day you want to argue with “The man.”  He caught me too in that while he was making the last of the arrangements with books and desk; I’d fallen asleep on my couch. 
 
To be fair … it was past my bedtime and I’d been up since one in the morning, but no doubt … we’re lightweights!
 
Hmm… Dared called him to see how he was doing … Our voice came out pretty hushed and humbled … asked if we could ask how he was…  I heard his first low moan … Says he was hurtin pretty bad this morning.  Let’s God Bless the Motrin here for a second.  Shoot … Don’t barely breath! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow!  What a lot of work!  Your friend is tried & true! How lucky you are!
You`ll have to share Pics of the bookcases!
V