Saturday, March 26, 2005

Forgot to add this entry from 24th (before we got real bad)

Good morning. It’s already 8:30 so I’m not sure where we’re going with this. We were up twice earlier, but then went back to bed each time. By the time we got up this last time, we had found that our Internet service was out again. They were saying we were still having firewall problems, but then after checking Internet Explorer, it would seem that we might need to get some payment into our cable provider. You think you are cruising then reality seeps in. With all the work for Macadam getting through the new house purchase, bill paying was left to the side. Might be Friday when our friend checks in before we can do something about it. I don’t think I would be able to use a pay phone for the long wait in getting phone service. Need phone. The only other option of using someone else’s phone, might be to go to Macadam’s house. Never done this without prior arrangements. We’ll see how desperate the situation becomes. I’m not real sure of his hours. Hmm, that’s a thought ... we’re going in to see Dr. M. tonight. Maybe we could take care of it there! AHA! Good thinking!

So, where does this leave us? We’ve still got a whole day and it IS the first day of vacation. We just got done reviewing a document that we brought home for work. It is the Paper Tiger work we’ve been doing on the CARF material. It’s small print and already up to 17 pages. It contains nearly 100 documents and we’re only about a third of the way done with our first book of 15. Quite some ways yet to go. There are a couple of documents misfiled, in that we now realize that if you add a space before a title, the program places the document at the head of the list. Need to watch that. Just a tiny fixable error. But, otherwise it looks GREAT! The report that we printed out includes the location, item name, detailed list of keywords, category, and action date. Really sharp looking report.

I am over glorified with the amount of detail I can add and the results because of that. I think that it is pretty foolproof. And, I’m getting used to zipping through the documents looking for keywords. It’s an extremely quick program so that my items searched for are found within seconds of thought. Yesterday, I entered the word behavior and got about a dozen documents, so then I typed in maladaptive and whoosh four documents! Yippee! So, if I wanted to write a new policy or report on maladaptive behavior I would zoom into all documents that might need to be altered. Or, Icould type in tornado and maybe three documents would show up. I am simply not getting over the profoundness in having everything appearing so quickly within a keyword. Especially, since I know how comprehensive these CARF records are.

It would be nice to think that I could turn the work over to the secretary, but there is no way she would be able to figure out my thinking through the keywords entered. And, it seems like the more I enter, the better I am at pinpointing my level of thoughts that are pertinent to the way I would like my minds to work. It satisfies a deep yearning over a kind of perfectionist that I am. Just need to pick up the speed, because there is going to be quite a bit more material that needs to be entered. Might take a couple of years even. Shoot, that’s a long time. I think this particular book has more entries though in that so far I’ve had to input all the policies and procedures, safety handbook, and IDHS regulations. That was a lot of detail. Ok, ok ... how do I get my mind from going over the swirling sensation we are giving ourselves. What a flurry of thought. Need to calm down here ... there won’t be much we can do with these thoughts until after getting back to work.

Whoops, definitely cable. Thought we could put on some soft music, but it appears we don’t get TV anymore either. Hmm.

Ok, getting on with things. I did bring home a lot of material to be reading for the grant work. I suppose I should start on that in a little bit. Need to accustom myself to not being on the computer though. That’s going to be pretty tough. We could load the Paper Tiger program onto this computer, but I’m not quite sure where to start with all that. It would be interesting to put the grant material on the paper tiger. Easier access, but I’m not sure about the difference between home and work. I will be doing most the grant writing from home, but I’ll need the references at work. Hmm. Maybe I should take a look at the files.

Hmm, ok we’ve had our first introduction to Grant #1. It seems as if it is a local grantmaker who is especially interested in helping the poor seek jobs. They cap off their projects at about $25,000. That seems to me to be the cost of a new job developer. We would really like to see that end of our business grow. Nothing against the lady working the position of job coach now, she’s one of my best friends, it’s just that her education is very low as is her ability. She shares this position with being the transportation person and housekeeping. Not to mention shoveling snow and cutting grass. Not really a great developmental person. She has also has trouble speaking English, and cannot write at all. She makes up for a lot by having a great heart, but it’s not the same as really getting our people out working. She just visits sites and offers assistance.

I had a hard time reading the copy I have printed out, because eight or nine letters are being cut off the side of the page by printing it out. I wouldn’t be able to do much with it until I had access to the web pages themselves. That’s ok, it allows me today to work on strategy. Shoot, I forgot that information on grant writing is stuck in email heaven as far as the day goes. Let me think ...

Shoot, just thinking of all my work from the Hall of Fame Journal Draft is stuck for good on my old computer. Eh, at least we have the on-line version. It will become more important over the years. Don’t see no limit to the amount of time we’re going to be connected to AOL. Fortunately, that has an auto payment devise :)

Let’s see which medium would be most helpful for the home work of Grants? Would seem that it would be helpful to put the program into at least the word processor. It still be nice to have a find feature. Seems to me it be nice to be using a data base on this one. That’s why the Paper Tiger has been so useful. There’s some trouble though in that there is really no locations, hmm, but I could copy/paste information over to a word processor, then use page numbers for locations. Hmm, would I use one document for each Grant? It could be hundred’s of pages long if I included web information and actual writing. Would though keep things nice and tidy. Hmm. I like the thought of building one resource which would be the Paper Tiger to keep track of each of the grants as their own location. Maybe this is good then so far. Sure wish we had up our Internet. Hmm. V’s going to be worried! Ok, ok ... we can fix that this afternoon. More planning!

I wonder. Hmm, I was thinking that maybe we could copy/paste whole pages or topics into the Paper Tiger, but there is a lot of repetitive words not useable. Maybe we could input the whole mission statement, but foundation history might not be of real use. Plus, there would be the realization that more documents could come from the company through mail or hard copy without being able to copy/paste from word. I think we could do something though with finding keywords in material written ... there really isn’t too much there. And, I think that since we’re going to do the work from home, that we’ll have to utilize our program here. I’m a little cautious of thought thinking how able we are to transfer information from computer to computer. We didn’t get good vibes from talking this last week to the lady trying to sell us more from the Paper Tiger Side Site. She was a little frustrated to know I’d used the CD to add both to my home and work computer. It was kind like ... get real!

Let’s see I could instead of adding page numbers, I could use location numbers by sections. Each new piece of information received would be another section. So on one page introduction, mission statement, and foundation history, could be 1-3. That seems reasonable. Now ... think again. Would I mix their written material with my writing toward grant including rough drafts? I’m not so sure about that. It isn’t my normal tendency, but what it is is to place documents one beside the other so that I could compare, or write from one in regard to the other. I’m not only a button pusher as my friend discovered last night, I am an inherent open windower. Yep, yep, it’s the truth. I love to leave windows open as I’m working on the computer. That’s the beauty of having so much space ... easy access. Hmm, on the paper tiger, I could categorize things as rough draft, final draft, or information given by grantmaker. That would work. Should I label each new thing by number, or skip a series of numbers to distinguish my work from there’s? Nope, won’t separate. I think that is the program filing system at its best. We can mix things up and still have order. Hmm, think I should load the program onto new computer. Hold on.

Hmm, did some loading. Might have to hold on ... Yahoo ... package left downstairs for us. We downloaded our OneNote program, can’t find the new Lotus program, Loaded our Catz program and SimCity 2000, but it’s not taking our SimCity 4's second disk. Now ... let’s see what we have! Damm ... only PrintShop. This is a great program and we did order it, BUT it’s only good if your Internet is on. :(

Ahh, seems to be working without Internet, however, I had no interest in completing a project with no Internet to share my creation. *sigh*

After loading the program, I figured I should also load Symantec anti-virus from work. That seems to be working and is already scanning my C drive. :) I also found when I opened that disk a copy of my lotus Smartsuite. Yayy! But it is from 2000 Boo. I will have to use the older organizer, until I can find that disk. Could be anywhere, it was a floater used to install many organizers into various computers. We’ll see, eventually it will show up.

Hmm, what’s next. Hmm, about lunch time ... better do that quick while we’re still thinking about it. Ready for a break. Ahh, yogurt!

Hmm, which does a traditional data base like Lotus Approach hold any advantages over the Paper Tiger? Maybe if I wanted to set something up in form status. Is that necessary. The blanks can only go up to 254 characters. That might have limitations. Just that I have these programs, and I should avail myself to be using them. Hmm, maybe Microsoft will have a data base too. I think the Lotus one is out dated. I’d too like to use the OneNote, but I had a little trouble with its search functions. Maybe I should check that out again.

I wonder if the other DHS program will arrive today. Maybe before we go to Dr. M.’s? The next package, I am waiting for Microsoft Professional. That has a couple great programs too, thought we’re wondering if it contains the one to make projects. Not sure. We’ll see. I think it came with the program last time we installed.

Hmm, did some playing around with it. Maybe there is another OneNote on the new program. This one still has issues with certain words I try to look up in find. It be a great organizing tool for the project, but would it be better than word? Maybe type in word, then add to OneNote. I’m used to writing directly into a word processor, because it helps me see the format as I’m typing. But, there is still the issue of retrieving work and organizing. For that OneNote may be better. Although I still may need to bring it from there back to Word if I were to be printing out for anyone other than myself. Hmm, that’s doable. Maybe I better explore the other program a few more moments.

Shoo, that took up some time. DHS came back and delivered my CD’s, DVD’s, and Microsoft Professional Programs. LOL My computer is like super charged now! About the only thing I know I’m missing for sure is the diet program thing for counting calories. Might have to purchase that over again, because I think it was done online, hmm, didn’t I get protection plus for that? It’ll have to wait until after we get back on-line.

Shoot, the day’s gone by fast. It’s already 1:30. Should get ready for Dr. M’s by about three, better set my timer.

Got so much stuff to work with, not sure where to step off first. I guess there a couple of final decisions. I need to figure out what to do, between the three main programs. I guess this Microsoft new stuff contains One-Note. I like the format it allows you as if you were working from a note book. And, if I had the right connection, I like that it would allow me to enter data through audio. Real neat feature, we really haven’t tried out yet. We’ll have to see what is needed. We have the tape recorder part now. Mmm, maybe later.

Poor V. He’ll be wondering what happened to us by now ...

Ok, concentrate here ... Information comes in, this gets recorded to ... see here’s the thing. OneNote is better for information off the Internet, Paper Tiger is best for information off hard data. I can turn the Internet stuff to hard data and add it to PT, but I can’t take hard data and place it into ON. So, it would seem logical that we use PT. BUT, PT only has one format where ON is very creative. Hmm, can I add from PT to ON? Nope, couldn’t do that. Maybe, I am going to need reformatting our brain so that we would allow our usage of multiple programs? Hmm, I need my flowcharting program now. Initial information comes in and we add it to PT, including information over the Internet. How is that information then used? Let’s see ... my job is to not only write documents as required by the grant, I also have to develop what the grant is to be used for ... like the job developer. How do I go about doing that? How to I set up our need for this? Hmm, it could be part of the argument through CARF that we as an agency work to place individuals back into the community. It could also be that we’ve been successful with placing people in the past. What kind of a program would this job developer run? I think that Rich would have ideas on that. He would have to develop a contact list either by making cold calls or letters, or by going door-to-door. He also could get contacts from attending the local job fairs. He should need to put together a sales package. What do they call that? Umm, oh yeah marketing. He would also need to be a good manager, because if he were successful down the line more job coaches would have to be hired. He would have a position over the present job person. An Internet search for "Job Developer" would sure come in handy here. Maybe we’ll have to wait. Shoot, what else can I clarify now?

Seems as where we went wrong with the last one is that the Administrators didn’t apply themselves with much direction for him. The guy was on his own and we’re pretty sure on the days, he did check in, that he was home watching cartoons. Nobody established a specific structure. And, he took advantage of that. The next person also has to be a writer! The guy before had 8th grade writing skills. So, there wasn’t any accountability. He avoided it like a passion. Hmm, so one part of the grant might be writing a job description. Ok, that part is good, what’s next?

We would have to present a complete package that would sell itself. How would this position assist the community in job placement. Hmm, I think too there has to be some client training involved. Again, the last guy made a farce out of this. We would have to have a formatted program that we knew would serve the needs of our people. It’s important that he/she doesn’t think so much of themselves, that they only deal with the clients on a minimal basis, instead of as a teacher. Hmm, have to write up a help wanted ad for the newspapers.

Ok, so far: Job Developer, 25,000

Inventory or survey work skill needs and preferences of all individuals served at the center

Establish structured pre/post educational and job skills programs for individuals who are job ready or working in conjunction with other staff

Attend job fairs

Establish self as marketer for our program and individuals w/Developmental Disabilities in general

Develop a working contact and mailing directory through cold calls and leads

Log Door-to-door job searches and networking efforts within the community

Gain information through the Internet and establish from it a job search resource guide

Assistjob coach(es) with methods for their training work with the individuals served

Establish working rapport with the job sites and on-the-job training with the individual’s served

Attend in-house and community meetings

Write effective evaluative and business reports

Communicate efficiently with the Administrator and the Administrative Team

Be accountable for all facets of job skills program development and follow-through

Wow! That sounds pretty good, we amaze ourselves! Pretty fairly sums up my expectations for this person!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

er, I`ll stop back!   LOL
V