Sunday, March 6, 2005

Lazy, lazy Sunday

G’Afternoon! I know it’s unusual posting at this time of the day. But, I thought since today was being such a lazy Sunday afternoon that we might go that direction. *Sigh* Sunday ... and tomorrow we have off too! Casimar Pulaski Day. I’m not sure ... does everyone celebrate that? It’s a beauty of a holiday. Ahh, just looked that up. I didn’t know he was a revolutionary war hero. Nor, that at 32 years of age died by protecting our freedom in the battle field. God bless Casimar!

Hmm, hard to know where to go ... What an ordinary life we live after all that. Hmm, did I say there’s a ball game on? Think Sacramento against Detroit. One of my favorite background noises. One of our latest backgrounds has been a Phily radio station WXPN. Yayy V! Most often though we’re on to PBS. Let’s me know what’s going on out there. Was this paragraph important ... naw, but as we said this is going to be a lazy entry.

We babysat our Granddaughter yesterday for the majority of the day. After her father came to pick her up, I’d learned that the move had not gone smoothly for them. They’d picked up some movers who weren’t top notch. I definitely had the better day. Perfect child was of course at the top of her game! We had such a nice visit. We played and played, had some good eats, did some computer and TV and we giggled and giggled! She’s a real chatter box. She has so much to say about living that I’m just absorbed by her.

This time over 8 hours and no tears! There were a few wind-ups, but she carefully watched Grandma and figured this wasn’t going to go this week either. I think kids should be raised logically. It’s best to use words to express desires. At least when you do crocodile tears to get something. As much as I love this Granddaughter, we don’t want to spoil her where manipulations are being played. We told her our work is helping people do things independently. So, when absorbed in a TV channel and asking for a spoon, we’re most likely to say, ahem ... spoons in the drawer.

Hehe once yesterday she asked for ice chips ... well that’s a fair request. She can’t do that for herself and I want her to be happy. So, I went into the kitchen. A few moments later as we had finished filling her cup, she came out to the kitchen. She was delighted with the treat and picked up her glass. She walked away about 3 steps and then came back, placed glass on counter and asked, "Gramma will you carry this for me, it’s too heavy." Uh what?? Um dear, please carry your own cup.

Well, guess it’s going to be a struggle between us, because truth be told, she decided she didn’t want to go get the cup. The ice eventually melted. We’re probably an awful Grandma, but just can’t do that game. And, I’m not sure who’s teaching it. She’s so perfectly nice when she’s doing it too. Thing is I just don’t see her not taking care of herself. I’m loving being in the life of the little girl, but there has to be some boundaries. I’d much rather be teaching/learning that we work together. I picked it up from one of the cartoons yesterday. Think Bob the Builder ... "Can we do it? Yes, we can!" Hehe love to high five her and say, "We did it!"

One of the other things we learned yesterday there is a difference between regular cartoons and learning cartoons. We searched for the learning ones. My favorite though wasn’t a cartoon ... I’d been using the "On Demand" feature of my cable company. There are buttons to push that will lead you to free kids shows, and a big set just for pre-schoolers.

They had one show where the kids were doing science experiments, art, music, magic, etc. We had had a lunch time discussion where we were checking out her school views. She knows that by the fall, she’ll be in pre-school. We just said, these are the kind of things you will be learning. She watched with great intensity. Thought YAYYYYYY pre-school. But, then we started worrying about someone teaching her how to be mean and we worried a little bit. But, am thinking ... nope, nope, nope. She’s too strongly set to change personalities. Better say an extra prayer here though just in case!

I’m infatuated with how much her mind works to understand things. She’s just such an interesting person. God Bless her. Plus, she’s such a good darn giggler! Lot’s more to tell, but by now we’re in that melting way ... where to think of her is bringing tears to our eyes. Such a wonderbug!

Hmm, someone’s not shooting well. AND, they need a win ... Hmm

Well, one more thing about miracle child. You know ... one of my favorite things is just talking to her. I just love the interplay of each us trying to figure out what the other is saying. And, not all times are the words direct. Sometime it is the simple things ... the directions she goes. At one point, I took a shower and we all giggled to see Grandma’s wet long hair. But, as it was almost dried, she bounced over as bouncy children do andpicked up my brush asking if she could do my hair.

I have to admit, it’s been quite some time since anyone "did" my hair and I’m pretty sure in my saying that the boys never thought to ask when they were young. So, my heart down to my knees, I said, "Yes." I wasn’t sure what to expect next. Eventually, she decided that what I needed was a big curl. So, she wound the hair around my circular brush into a big long twirl. LOL, needless to say the more she twisted the more stuck the brush became. But, we continued to trust and I learned how careful she can be as she reminded me not to worry. We, in turn, told her how beautiful it looked. Guess that last thing? Granddaughter’s make you feel beautiful with or without brushes...

*Sigh*

Oh oh ... Ohio ended Illinois’ winning streak. That’s not so good. Umm, oh yeah that’s college basketball. Pretty sure there still at the top. They’ve played a whole lot of games pretty darn well.

What else is there on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Did I mention how many naps we took? Pretty sure it’s about three! Yay!!!

Hmm, temperature is 64 right now ... think we’re going to end for a while and check out that front sunny porch. They say it’s not going to be again like this for about two weeks. Cold front is coming and temps are going to fall, so that tomorrow we’ll see near 30 :’( boo- boo!

Whoops forgot to post ...

We sat outside for a while at the bistro on the balcony. We read for a chapter before coming to the conclusion that 64 is still a little chilly. But, oh the fresh air was heavenly!

We came back inside and decided to watch a movie. There were a couple dozen shows, that I didn’t know, but I found, "Little women." I sure do like that one! Perhaps others choose which sister’s or suiter’s life they would lead ... but, any reasonable journalist who happened to be female would fall naturally in love with the wonder of Jo the writer. What a wonderful character! Can’t say enough for marrying a German philosopher ... hehehe Ahh, my heart be still!

Maybe we’ll be going on to bed in a few moments. Need to settle myself a bit. Yeeks, maybe medicine will help? I think tomorrow I will have to look into transcendental. Sounds pretty Kant-like to me :) I think it’s all about directing your direction by one’s own mind. Yep, yep ... I think that is me! I’m willing to bet that if I look, I’d find scores in the book shelve. Maybe tomorrow will start back on "taming" our books. Yahoo. FREE Monday!! Whoops, ‘cept Dr. Marvin ... ah, but then that is one of the best kind of days! Yahoo!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every year at the base of the Polaski Skyway section of US Route 1 & 9 in NJ there is a ceremony and wreath laying on the birthday of Casimir Polaski. The Skyway, whick is the oldest raised highway in America runs from Essex County (Newark) to the Holland Tunnel in Jersey City. I have seen the ceremony many times over the years. I think it is orchestrated by the local Polish Falcons. Hello to all. My Regards, Bill.

Anonymous said...

Guess that last thing? Granddaughter’s make you feel beautiful with or without brushes...   [Awww, them is beautiful words!!]
Illinois will still be the no. 1 seed in the tournament!
What a wonderful tale about your visit with your Grandaughter!
Lucky You!
V