Saturday, November 29, 2003

Multiple Thinking So far

Today, we’re playing hooky.  We were going to go to work, but  we called Sr. Tess and told her we wouldn’t be coming in.  We feel a little guilty about this, but then we thought … “But, we’re having SUCH a nice vacation!” 
 
I can’t say we’ve done much in the last couple of days, besides work on our web pages.  There is a tremendous amount of information to be thinking over.  We are appreciating the new set up of Amazon, in that for some of the books it is allowing not only that we can “look inside the book,” but as well now you can, “search inside the book!”  This is wonderful!
 
We still don’t do much “outside shopping” besides Amazon. We can almost imagine the glee encompassed yesterday on young Erin’s face while she was out at 3 in the morning shopping.  You go Erin!  

I can’t explain what we get out of reading and writing and thinking.  Maybe, it is about choices and self determination.  When we were younger and read (quite a bit), we were more into the other places the books could take us in our minds.  There is still that, but now in our older selves, we seem more able to challenge the thinking of the authors that we are reading. 
 
It is like, “ok.  This is what I hear you are saying, but … I don’t want to buy into that line of thinking.  I do appreciate that you’ve challenged my mind!”  Or, “I hear what you are saying and that thought makes all the sense in the world.  Thanks!  It really helps me out.”
 
Yesterday, we wrote and reviewed the material we’ve been going through.  Our thoughts so far are this: 
 
I would like to know more about attachment theories, but mind control is a little too scary for us right now.  We don’t want to buy into the point being made that there are some therapists out there trying to manipulate our minds, but we are willing to concede that mind control is a large factor of the original abuses. 
 
We are not into quick therapeutic “fixes.”  Our two major therapists have both allowed us time and a sense of an “open-ended becoming,” rather than to shuffle us off to preconceived notions of integration.  We are unsure of ego states, but pro – multiples and others sharing their collective experiences.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

< It is like, “ok. This is what I hear you are saying, but … I don’t want to buy into that line of thinking. I do appreciate that you’ve challenged my mind!” Or, “I hear what you are saying and that thought makes all the sense in the world. Thanks! It really helps me out.” > TOTALLY! That's the reason I read anything! I can't do fiction. Doesn't grab my attention (mostly) What are you reading right now?

Anonymous said...

We created a list of multiple resourced books at Amazon (41,839), then in order we're choosing each book that has the "search/look" feature. We have a few key words, and find a few more in the index and we'll read from 20-100 pages each. We've read so far: clinical features, PTSD, skeptics ... is it real and the Manchurian candidates. And stories ... autobiography and case study. One on ego states and the next two which will include the media and creating hysteria in women.

Anonymous said...

Hey! 3 AM shopping was amazing - can you imagine the bags under my eyes, and the exhaustion there too though?? LOL, there are def. advantages to amazon.com which I must admit I take advantage of too!
With love!
Erin

Anonymous said...

mind control and original abuse...good and interesting journal. now I'm curious what you are reading right now...