Sunday, October 26, 2003

Annotated Responce to Reading #1 - Multiplicity

Some of us,who have withstood severe and overwhelming trauma, dissociate which then causes a breach in our core part's identity formation and memory.  We sublimate this by being able-minded parts whose primary purpose is to protect our core.

The majority of multiples are traumatized by physical and sexual abuse before the age of four.  Usually, at least one "trusted" family member caused this horrendous internal distress. Oftentimes, there are other strict religious or mystical belief inclinations in the family.

The core personality normally has a good working memory, above average intelligence and creativity. Usually, they are predisposed to love, but have a capacity to dissociate when challenged by overwhelming contradictions. The trauma is normally frequent, unpredictable, inconsistent and severe.

The experience of abuse is personal, interpersonal, and situational. The dissociation is reinforced by the family dynamics and subsequent life experiences. The core personality would be in great peril if not for this ability to dissassociate from the disrupted personal boundaries of self and other, but in return must forgo memory independent of state and mood. 

The traumatized child introjects, internalizes, and identifies with the abuse through imaginary companions who are of more trusted value than the outsiders.  Outward communication is not allowed, so the dissociation becomes further fixed. As the individual matures, pseudo relationships will be avoided at all costs and ideal circumstances sought to reassociate to life. The goal of therapy is to trust conscious and co-consciousness of self(ves) and others' purpose and motivation.

As a multiple, we have found a life albeit dissociated.  Our abusers were my maternal grandfather and mother and they were supported by my maternal grandmother, father, siblings, and one uncle.  They are/were dogmatic Lutherans.  My paternal grandmother provided us with love.  Our traumas witnessed in silence affected all internal and external relationships.

We are not yet able to constructively handle well false relationships.  We are learning to accept ourselves and others through trusting key relationships.  Our safer world is found through the security of reading and writing.

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for coming by my journal and leaving words of encouragement. I am having a better day, and hopefully all the rest of the week will be good. I found what you have written to be very interesting and detailed and quite openly honest, you are a very brave lady. I will be back to see you again. :)

Anonymous said...

This would be our pleasure Amy, thanks for leaving the door unlocked! We hope good things for your week too! We loved the creativeness of your journal entry. Gave us room to spread out our imagination on 'yer kitchen table. Cookies and milk left out are as much a blessing as they are come late December. You drew such wonderful images! Thank you for being you, we find you stupendous!

Our love to you,
Ayn

Anonymous said...

This entry is amazing. I have read it over several times, it makes me want to go out and learn all I can so I may understand it on a deeper level. And as far apart as we may be in a lot of situations, the very last sentences I idealize with. "Handling false relationships" + "security of writing"...that is me too, you are not alone. Though I love my friends/family, there has always been security in writing for me. I am so inspired by this entry.
Love you guys,
Erin

Anonymous said...

We' so glad you you enjoyed Erin! We're figuring that most often it will be "Sunday Work." It is also "Sunday work," but check under my "favorite sites" called, "***Et Al's Psychological Research." Here you will find we'll be writing summaries of the reference we read and is the basis for the annotated responce. BTW, it is us that is inspired by your enthusiasm for the material. We hope you go on in life to do great things!

Our love,
Kate & Lissa

Anonymous said...

Hi all ~ I'm moved by your intelligence, sensitivity, compassion and spirituality. I can relate to much of this entry. I imagine we all can - all creative-types have got to be in touch with some part of their wounds and cores. I'm sweetly reminded of my 2 imaginary friends I had when I was about 4 yrs old. (i will never forget them - they were REAL to me - I loved them, they loved me) Great entry - thank you! xo