Monday, October 20, 2003

Hmm, What About Getting a House?

I'm not sure what lead us here last night, but we found a house we could live with (we didn't even know we were looking!).  It's a lot different than the house we had when we were married.  That house was a Victorian.  But this one is reasonably half the size with 9 rooms and 2 baths.  There is a living room (14x12), dining room (14x13), 2 kitchens (13x12 and unsure), and 5 bedrooms (various sizes). 

The description says that it's a family home with a possible in-law arrangement.  It's only $135,000 and the monthly payments with 10% down and taxes would be $861 a month.  That's less than we're paying for rent.  If a magic wand were waved and I were to receive $135,000, then all I'd have to worry about is $133 a month for taxes!  Then I could save $730 a month toward repairs and upkeep!  This is easy!

Hmm, with that kind of a deal, we could save $250 a month for a cleaning lady, although I'm not at all sure what the going cost is.  I'd like her in 3 times a week for 2-3 hours each time. Plus, I'd get someone to do the little yard.

Is 5 bedrooms/2 kitchens/2 baths a necessity?  Absolutely!  The way we figure it, we could then have sleepovers!  See the individual's at work don't get out very often, nor do their families get much of a break from them.  I figure that I could be offering a respite service.  We'd charge $60 for a weeknight, or $75 for a Saturday night and allow for singles or groups of 2-3 people.

The cost would include a dinner ordered in or a dinner at a nice moderate restaurant, plus a breakfast/brunch the clients could help fix the next day in their very own kitchen.  Also, we give them back $10 to shop for snacks and a movie rental.  The extra money would go toward fixing up the rooms as suited for any good bed and supper! 

Thing is this house is only 5 minutes from work and a minute away from the park where Clear Sky coaches the developmentally disabled.  So it would be very convenient.  But, If there were time while the individuals were there, I would like to see the individuals taking care of at least one or two household tasks tailored specially to them.  I'd want them to be learning adult responsibility for being on their own, plus they'd have so much fun! 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I hope you can make your dreams come true. If you think hard enough and pray about it I think it could happen.
John G.

Anonymous said...

Omg Omg, Number overload. Senses waning. That home is very beautiful, I do hope your dream comes true and you can start making payments to own on it. Update me!
Love, Erin

Anonymous said...

My whole family is pulling for y'all. I love happy endings to projects like this. If y'all look hard enough, you might find a way around that down payment!! Good Luck!! :)

That Happy Chica,
Marcia Ellen

Anonymous said...

Thank you all ... you're a tremendous bunch of friends. And, Erin ... we're going to try not to mention any numbers today, especially for you! :) We're going to pray hard on this one. Dr. M. was saying let's go long term project here and study grant writing, zoning, and incorporation first, Forest Path said we'll need a safer neighborhod, and Sr. Tess said let's get past the state inspection and CARF first.

Anonymous said...

I think it is important to have dreams to be working on. For a long time we weren't able to see a future because we spent so much time in the past. I think with the help of God, some hard work, and the good support of people like you all, all things are possible. I agree Marcia Ellen ... love happy endings! If not this particular beautiful home, we'll find another! Let's say yay for "master plans!"