Sunday, October 12, 2003

Tanner in Shining Armor

Last night, once again, my son Tanner showed himself brilliantly as, "The White Knight" he's always been. Since Tanner was a toddler, we've thought of him as a defender of justice.  He carries a swift sword and has always been able to accurately judge and discern.   Maybe this was due in part, because he had been born with having an older brother.

We had actually been doing pretty good on our own.  We were happy with the work done at the Center.  It had been a very long day, but our production had been good.  Still, we were tired and hungry.  After we walked in the door, put down our things, and started the water for noodles, I did what I always do; I go to turn on my computer. 

Just this time ... it didn't work.  Instead of my normal screen there was a DOS message saying that it couldn't start my Windows program.  I felt doom, but I didn't panic at first.  I made myself read through all the scary options, then I tried each one.  But, nothing!  I repeated each of the options three times.  Still nothing.  I now started to panic.  We pretty much live a computer to computer world between home, work, and Dr. M's office.  

My first thought was to just lay down and play dead.  But, we fought off this impulse.  Then, I thought I should call somebody.  Obviously, this was a crisis.  I'm usually not in contact with either Forest Path or Dr. M. on weekends, then I figured, Oh man, this has got to be a Tanner time!

I usually try not to disturb him.  He works very hard and is a pretty private person, but he has long since been our computer expert.  Tanner understands my computer needs better than even me.  It took another half hour for it to dawn on us that I could simply drive to his house 20 minutes from here (His number is private and it was locked away in my computer).

I know that Tanner loves me as only Tanner can.  He listened patiently, offered assistance immediately, then calmed me considerably.  After he walked us to the car, tears came.  Nothing I could ever do would replace the importance of having brought this wondrous person and his brothers into the world.   Then, just as gallantly as he'd entered on his steed, Tanner was off again to other unknown worlds that I may never fully understand or appreciate enough.

Ok, now breath...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my journal! It took a bit of courage to start writing things stranger would read, but I feel better about it now. I, too, have arthritis (and fibromyalgia) and have gone up and down with depression for many years now. I'm not sure which one sets off the other--it's a domino effect.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeanne! Thanks for stoppin in, and your welcome, my pleasure! If you go to my other journals, you'll find that Lois also has depression and fybro ... shoot, don't know how to say it (but, I know a little about it). Maybe you could meet up with her too!

We really enjoy your positivity!

Our love,
Ayn