Friday, December 26, 2003

Fragile or Strong

*Sigh* Figured after a full dinner and whole slice of coconut pie later, it might be near nap time.  We wanted to jot a few thoughts down first.  Most of it was very good. 

The bad part was that I’d stopped to do an errand before meeting Macadam, Jacob, and Abby and my car battery died on me. I was grateful that the tow truck guy didn’t say any of the familiar demoralizing things like, "Why didn’t you take this in this morning when it first started giving you problems?"

It’s always very wonderful seeing the boys and my granddaughter. After the battery incident, I went home figuring if she was going to die again, that’s where she should do it. Fortunately, she seemed fine after letting her run for an hour. I was picked up at home by some very hungry people though!

We went out to a nice restaurant. It was a little tense at first, because sometimes it’s hard for 2 ½ year olds to stay at one place. They wiggle tons! After a booster chair was found, she was more happy to sit down. She was ordered chicken fingers and fries by choice and dipped in sauce to her heart's content! Afterward, there was a game she invented about putting paper napkin and ice cube fishes back to sea in her water glass. She's being a great little wonder!

The most important discussion was begun by the boys.  They said that it was natural for people their age to be depressed. (The boys are 19, 21, and 23). That thought startled us. Not so much that kids could be, but that my kids were saying they each have or are going though it. I've heard some of their difficulties along the way, but because they had come up with solutions most often, we thought they were doing fantastic. 

During this conversation, we did better. We were able to let them talk about their feelings without assuming in our "motherly" fashion their depression for them. Although it is realistic to assume either through nature or heredity we’ve contributed, I do believe that their lives are separate from mine.  We were glad they were talking about it.

It hurt to hear them say, there were some things they couldn’t talk to me about. I think they worry about if we’ll be able to handle added pressure. I’m thinking they’re thinking were fragile. I don’t know ... we’ll have to think on this some more ... there is some "me" work to do here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi d Hey All!! Sorry to hear of the pressures, but they come and go. You're stronger than you think. A cord of many strands is VERY strong. Have a wondrous season, all. Love ya all!! :)

That Happy Chica,
Marcia Ellen

Anonymous said...

Hello, Aynetal. Thank you for the sweet message you left me yesterday. I've visited your journal before but this is my first comment. Will come back again soon. =)

Anonymous said...

I know you must be concerned about your boys. But I think a little depression [or general sadness, rather] is fairly normal, especially with today's pressures. Medical depression is something to be worried about, something to be dealt with. But everyone gets down from time to time. They seem like bright boys. I'm sure they'll work this out for themelves. As a mother, you can be there for them.. offer your ear, keep a close eye. Love heals. So love them. That seems easy enough for you.