Tuesday, December 30, 2003

Our Mission Statement

"I will respect myself by being honest with my thoughts and feelings. I will love myself, my God, my family, my friends, and people I meet along my path. I will honor my freedom and independence and cherish my right to make choices. I will strive to be capable. I will be responsible for happiness, and I will share whatever wisdom I learn in offering help to others."

This has been our mission statement over the past year. We figure it is time to look at it again on the occasion of a New Year.

Hmm, "respect" can’t go too wrong here. At this junction of our life, we feel still like someone who has been abused, but primarily we worry most about self abuse. More like are we eating, sleeping, exercising properly. Are we feeding into our minds thoughts that are beneficial to us and others?

This leads us to our ability to love. We have to focus on parts where life is unfolding itself to us and that we are indeed on a journey. We have thought often that we are walking through the woods.  There is water somewhere down the way.  We need to accept this is the way, it is fluent, and their are others who's path intercept with ours.  And, this is all good. 

The honoring of freedom and independence is still a strong factor in the way we are able to process life. I can realize at this point, when I’m caught up with "someone ought love me better," I’ve undermined ourselves and the other. It disallows my processing that choices have to be made and decisions accepted.

The striving to be capable takes affect whether I’m at home or work. I’ve always disliked the thought that I might "have the potential of ..." Shoot, be better that I’m doing my best every day.

This last year, we had a couple of instances of having been in a major depression. While I know there will always be issues, we contribute through negative thoughts such as, "I can’t, I don’t want to..., or I don’t have to...!" It is better to think, "I can, I want, I will."

Yes, my resolution this year will be to better accept "our mission!"  We each have purpose and worth.

(Hehe - path intentionally blurred.  This year we will add a need to focus ... exponentially!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

umm... you realize you're brilliant, right?

The way you put your thoughts in order is imcomparable. Amazing.

I can, I want, I will. Great motto. :)