Friday, November 12, 2004

Beginning to Plan Ahead

Morning ... morning ... should be saying this afternoon. Been justa playin and a playin this morning. Everything in a roundabout fashion for having off today. We got our groceries this morning and am as far as now just putting away the freezable stuff. What’s that an hour and a half? Eh, figure we’re doing pretty good. Hmm, we’d be doing real good if we took our morning medicine. Maybe we should try that? Hold on ... lost our concentration. Let me try that again... Ok, better.

Man ... sure did lose THIS morning ... Just flew. I guess we’re into the early afternoon phase now ... this is the one that gets messed up because there are parts of us thinking about wanting a nap! Have to admit its pretty darn probable, but we’ll try to hold up here the best we can. Our friend is coming over about 3 pm, so there will be no nappin at that time. He has in his sight to clean! ACK! CLEAN?? Rather impose a heavy lead anvil to my head! Shoot. Shoot. And, the the bad part is that he gets in these cleaning moods, he’ll get all serious and say stuff like, while I’m doing this, why don’t you do that? And, my head will scream out silently, "NOOOOOO, DON’T MAKE ME DO THAT!" It’s a process similar to pulling teeth. Matter of fact, if they put me out, I’d just as soon have my teeth pulled. Well, no it’s not actually more serious than putting away a few boxes, washing some towels, dishes and vacuuming ... but it SEEMS like a lot. Probably he’ll want that kitty litter emptied too! What happen if he wants to swiffer!?? Like didn’t we just do this? Terribly *whimpery* now. Shoot. The only way I know how to handle this is to dissociate so at that, this is enough of this for the time being!

The only good thing to come of all this ... is that when its done its done. I do like living in a clean house more than not. AND, that is good news because my Granddaughter is coming over tomorrow. She’s never seen my house a mess. I KNOW my son has. I thought I was saying something new when I asked him to call ahead. I admitted that sometimes I procrastinate until just the end. He started laughing and laughing. Something about that he’d known that about me already. I didn’t even know that?! That’s the trouble with having people having lived with you before. They like know ALL your secrets! When is it exactly when kids know more than you?? Does it happen all at once or does it just build up?

When my son called to ask for this babysitting favor yesterday ... I was like, great, wonderful and all that ... the longer he stayed in the IM the more anxiety started to build. Finally, I asked him if I could get his take on something. I’d been remembering the incident last time I babysat and the time before with the ketchup. See the more certain I am about pouring it for my three year old granddaughter, the more sure she is that she should be pouring it. I didn’t say too much more than ketchup and my son had grasped hold of my meaning. He said, "I place my hand on the very end of the bottle and stop it while its still reasonable. I thought, "Oh, that’s how its done." Ms Abbe likes to squeeze and squeeze till there’s a big puddle of ketchup on the plate. There’s this automatic thing about what’s reasonable, but then you get that Grandmother surge saying, "We want her to be proud of herself and learn the value of independence!" I dunno. I know this is going to come up again. Maybe this time we’ll have to change the rules. I wonder if she can count to three? Should I dare mention the thought of her pouring a glass of orange juice? You know big people aren’t made to watch little people’s messes! It must go against primary principles to flood the table unnecessarily. But, we’re going to try and be real patient.

The other deal that’s a real mystery to us yet ... Is the part where we think she should be sleeping and she thinks not. I think we’ve so far got a relationship where I’m like a big buddy rather than a disciplinarian. My form of discipline is how long can you play the game without losing concentration? How is it that one leads a child to bed without either being distorted? I think I know, but I’ve not proven that the theory works. I know first you’ve got to make the split between doing things outside the bedroom and brushing teeth. Maybe this time we can ask her daddy to bring over pajamas. Get her thinking in the direction. See though? Here’s where it all gets screwed up, because I already know what I want her to do. Get in the bed and fall asleep. But, in her mind, she’s thinking I bet I can stay up until Mommy and Daddy get here. See, see ... the makings of a power struggle! How is this avoided? I can suggest we talk about it when she first gets here, we can relax her and guide her to the bedroom, we can find a book and read it. But, does that mean she’ll trust me enough to close her eyes? Don’t know...

Maybe I need a psychology book? Oh man oh man ... Do you know what? I just looked up at my bookshelf here next to the computer and not only did I spot my big bundle coloring book, I found a brand new not opened paint craft project. I wonder how many years and years has that been sitting around? Seems like something I would have gotten after getting out of one hospitalization or another. Hmm, paint brush and acrylic paint ... is that a good idea?? I don’t have any used newspapers, but I could probably easily come up with a paint smock. What am I going to do when she plunges the paint brush in the paint instead of dipping? Will I be able to handle that? And, then it says to dab in extra water between the colors. This sounds like a real Grandma project to me! The actual kit includes four plastic wood-like seasonal plaques that attach to a welcome sign. Thinking ahead ... it sure would make a nice Christmas surprise to Mommy and Daddy! Am I way out here now?? Can we pull this off? Might take a few sessions and would mean I’d have to stick with it no matter how messy it got. Eh, they are just little bottles of paint. There are 12 colors which should complete the project AND, if paint dries hard on the paint brush ... I know I could get substitute brushes at work! AHA! I think its doable. Certainly not fool proof, but a good foot forward.

Wow! I didn’t know! Did you know right beside that painting project are a couple of dozen hard cover children’s books? I didn’t read to the kids much for some horrible unknown reason. But, here on the shelves I’ve still got books from their earliest childhood. I didn’t even known I’d kept them! I guess when the new bookshelves came in they went from an obscure bottom shelf to a higher perch! Yahoo! And, you know what else? I found a couple of pretty journals still empty just sitting there begging to be used. They are the smaller sheets of paper with flower boarders and a spiral binding. I bet you we could use those water colors and crayons we found last week in my surprise drawer to color some pictures that we could frame for the parents or us. This is a great idea! Hmm, could those words be eaten?

Heheh, ok girls ... lets slow down ... one step at a time. We’re thinking Grandma better practice her napping. Yep, yep ... going to need good energy for this! Was thinking too. Sure would like her to get used to using the back guest room. It’s got a pretty nice full bed. Empty dresser and the cutest little white desk. In all actuality is the fact though that the dresser and desk come from her mommy. It was her furniture from when she was a little girl up until the time she married my son. I really would like my granddaughter to appreciate it. Hmm, have to think of that a bit. How do we make that room special for her!?? We’ll start this next time maybe ... turn on the light and let her help us fill some special drawers! Ooh, love that idea! Ok, ok slow down ... nap time! Yayyyyyyyyyyyy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's the projects that have been sitting around for years and years that often have the best stuff in them. :) or at least the best shelf life.

Anonymous said...

hehehehe, learnin` to be a Grandmom!  er, I`d put the paints on the back burner...maybe start with crayons!   Chicken fingers!!   French Fries!!!  Yeaaa!!!
V