Sunday, March 14, 2004

Money, money, money

Oh man-o-man ... what a day ... so happy to be back sitting comfortably behind my screen and keyboard. This is the day marked, "Day One" of my eldest son and me trying to get a handle on our bills. And, I even picked up around the house so he wouldn’t be shocked. That was good thinking. Don’t want him worrying needlessly.

He was the most wonderful assistance. He saw absolutely no reason to get upset or frown on us. I think though that we rocked nervously in our chair the entire time and sometimes we had difficulty breathing proper. And, he got us to go out and deposit a check ... mind you, we didn’t even stop and buy goodies from those tables they put right when you walk in the grocery store/bank!

He worked through a whole lot of envelopes from the mail. He said we’re actually doing pretty good, but we have to admit our friend had stepped back in the picture a week ago, because they were turning off stuff. There’s money in the bank ... just we get so terrified to be doing money stuff or even opening the mail box. Not sure why ... just know its been like this ever since we separated from my husband 14 years ago.

I think we’re just afraid there isn’t going to be enough money. I have a decent job, or at least put in enough extra hours that I’m being paid fairly for what’s paid by standards in this industry. Macadam figured today that $1,000 a month gets taken out for taxes and medical insurance. I didn’t know!

He said that although I get a lot of medical bills from the hospitalization and psychiatrist ... that even those are only worth a couple thousand. Big thing is we haven’t got credit cards. That’s saving us a lot. I don’t really do much for personal life extra besides what I do here on the computer. Plus, I will get a little extra money in a couple of months, so there really isn’t any complaints.

Sure would like to know how to make this whole thing easier on my nerves. I barely ever hear of people in Journalland worrying over money though. How is it you all are able to do this money stuff? How do we teach ourselves to relax?? Dr. M???

Picture - http://www.bztoons.com/toons/nothingtofear.html

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Controlling spending and keeping the checkbook in balance should become a "second nature" task. Don't let it bother you. Set priorities when paying bills. Then cut and trim what you spend to make sure there's enough to pay them all and still eat :-)). With luck yoou can keep a few buck hidden for 'special treats" Regards, Bill.

Anonymous said...

Managing finances can be stressful, but once you deal with it on a regular basis, it loses its intimidation factor, IMO. Sometimes it's the fear of the unknown that gets us, in this case your fear of knowing you're in the red. And like most things, the worry is worse than the reality. Ask your son to walk you through little by little. Once you handle things yourself, you can see how empowering and satifying it is to pay off those bills and manage your money every month. =P

Anonymous said...

Oh my. I don't talk about money matters much in my journal, because once I started complaining and worrying, it might never end. Besides, who wants to talk about something that unpleasant? ;-)