Saturday, March 13, 2004

Something of Sr. Tess

Not sure I can do the experience justice ... but, both Sr. Tess and us were in my office. We’d been working on recording a song. I have a very good set of speakers and she had found on the Internet the song the group will be singing at the Spring Fling. This is the Center’s annual dinner/dance fund raiser. The song is called, "Love Changes Everything."

We were both being very quiet so we wouldn't be recorded. The song plays for 3 min 10 seconds. I'd discovered ourselves to be looking at Sr. Tess and I'd become mesmerized with the peace and happiness I was seeing of her as she followed the tune. Then ... she shifted her attention just slightly, so she was also looking back at me.

Most often I have a lot of trouble with eye contact, but for this one instant, I maintained visual contact with her for about 10 seconds. I had the impression in my mind that we were being flooded by the most beautiful thoughts I'd never been able to express.  She was open, accepting and encouraging. Finally, the tension grew too much and I lowered my gaze.

Sr. Tess politely looked away also. But, then with curiosity and amazement, we repeated the same thing once more. I sensed her playfulness, just we were by now pretty fluttery. This second time was a four second confirmation; It was a peek.  Shoot, that was one of the most unique and important experiences of my year!

Couldn’t tell you why, though Abraham Maslow and Peak Experiences come to mind. Tears came to my eyes as they are now. The experience as a whole was about 45 minutes in that we recorded twice and in between those recordings I followed her to where the first group of clients were. They are our "main singers."

Dutifully, they had interrupted their previous task to form for Sr. Tess a choir (right in the workshop) with her leading ... all trust and happiness in their eyes and voices ... singing outspokenly their hearts. What a pleasure it is to take part of life ... part of Sr. Tess' life.  It's an intimate view of love!

Picture - http://www.art.com/asp/sp-asp/_/ui--A5815B4C37664ECDA09709C065969AEC/PD--10042456/sOrig--CAT/sOrigID--12125/An_Angel.htm

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

{{{{{Ayn et al}}}}} The eyese are the window of the soul...it sounds like you and Sr. Tess had a really good look at each other.

Anonymous said...

{{ etal }} That`s just a beautiful post , and a wonderful moment!!!
Thanks for sharing it!
Vince

Anonymous said...

Wow, very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, the Maslow. And the effortless connection
with that well=informed soul~~Now, imagine that it had
already happened THOUSANDS of times...or tomorro just
once in your Bathroom mirror.
Mean=while, thanx 4 being the 4k on my little werld!

Anonymous said...

oh ayn - how perfect was that! i hope you show her this entry....

Anonymous said...

It seems like a very special moment you shared with Sister Tess there. Sometimes no words are necessary. I'm glad it left you with some wonderful feelings and thoughts!