Tuesday, March 2, 2004

Muddied Waters

This will be my last post on groups and leadership for a bit, but I wanted to clarify and expound on a few things.

I appreciate that you all heard me out. At the beginning, although I had wanted to let go of the responsibility to a few of you, I was assisted in clarifying roles a little more clearly. I’m happy with the thoughts that evolved. I agree 100% with Free’s post in the previous entry. It is important for the leaders AND it is important for the group members to accept responsibility.

I believe though that we look to leadership for cues. In this situation, each were responding slightly differently. My responses have been toward how I thought and felt things were going and from my own ability. Most often I find our role is a supporter, especially of the leadership. Not much different than how you’ve all listened patiently to my role with Sr. Tess.

This doesn’t mean that I’m any less independent, responsible or able. We all have roles.

What developed in our minds had not much to do with the original stimulus past the fact that it had challenged our cognisance. It encouraged me to think more about the processes that existed that turns out are all well and good.  But maybe I'll not take them for granted as I had been. In the process, it got me to read through most of a book that offered direction toward my thoughts unfulfilled.

Our tendencies are to intellectualize. I think you were right here Muse. I hope I will be forgiven for this. We have greater needs than many to understand life and how she works. In the past this ability saved us from being crushed.

I have learned how to trust more, but always in degress. I look to see how all around are responding. In our mind it is like ... ok, she is here, he is there ... they are all following ... what does this mean ... what direction are we all then going. Is this where I want/need to be?

Maybe nothing is more important here than for me (or others for themselves) the assurance of a sense of safety. I want to know that the group will continue to be ... that things will be ok.

Sorry if I’ve muddled anyone’s waters ... this is just part of who we are.  We'll try to step down our guard now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too want the community to go on and prosper. My outlook is basically "to go with the flow" but, will not be pushed in any direction I don't feel comfortable moving. You have a good analysis of roles for yourself and for the community structure. Keep it up. I for one am glad you are active with your thoughts. My Regards, Bill.

Anonymous said...

Intellectualizing things isn't bad, Ayn. Sometimes it helps in looking at the situation with a more objective, rather than an emotional, eye. =)

Anonymous said...

I think a sense of safety is important for ALL of us here. By putting our most precious thoughts into the public eye, we need to feel that no one will ever question us or judge us. I think some people felt judged.. and that hurt and caused an uproar. But things are healing... we've all learned lessons.. It's going to be OK. ::smile::

Anonymous said...

so sorry ayn...
it was just a big ol' mud puddle mess.