Monday, February 9, 2004

The Big Guys Game

Jacob is also doing well, hehe except for this one hard class ... some kind of computer language class that starts with an "A."  Maybe Assembler?  Darn memory! It’s supposed to be more complex and thorough than C++. We had a fantastic conversation about it. I can understand things as he's explaining them, because he allows me to ask questions, but we can't hold it in memory after he stops talking.  Seems he can do the work easily enough, but he's got poor study habits.  He's never had to do much more than hear it once to understand.  He tried to convey to me how programming works. I can sorta understand a teensy bit better ... something way past bits and bytes. He told me how much a Gigabyte holds and at least three levels past that, plus what it is people do with these big numbers of memory. He is very into writing very powerful efficient programs. He says he would like to work on designing games and after that he would like to teach computers to high school students.

Jacob talked about Tanner a little bit. He says that Tanner has his own Guild and that it is already in the top 10 in the Shadowbane game. Jacob says that Tanner is supposed to be a very good leader and without Tanner, the game would be nothing for any of them. The Guild only includes Tanner and Jacob, Jacobs friend, 3-4 of Tanner’s friends, and three of their cousins. Hehe this is the son who earned over a million dollars last year. We figure he can play as many "games" as his heart can handle!

See, see ... we told you we were going to brag.

I think the hardest part of the day was the realization that compared to my kids and "Ex" that I’m kind of a slouch in the intelligence department. Jacob doesn’t think I’m slouchy and says that I shouldn’t worry about it, because he’s picked up other things from me ... More the human side of life. We tried to take some comfort here. So what if I can’t count past 999 million, trillion, gazillian and three. Eh, I still get to be Their mother!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

All,intellectually...........You`re the Tops!!!!
Vince

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't say you're a slouch. The kids of today are children of the internet, so they adapt to the techie environment quicker and better than we do. Besides IQ isn't the only measure of intelligence, there is also EQ, or emotional intelligence.

Anonymous said...

A slouch! My goodness, I'd hardly agree with *that!

Anonymous said...

Ayn,as I don't know anything really re; your old man(ex), I can still say, girl you gotta be kiddin',there is more smarts in your little head than a couple of genius's put together, no bull either. YOU, one person are holding, what 20 brains in one. And doing an outstanding job of it. Please, don't sell yourself short. Best to you.SandyFatcatskiny