Friday, February 6, 2004

Patiently having had Waited

Yesterday was long and tiring, but a deeply satisfying day. Momentarily skipping all the rest ... at the end of the day before leaving for my doc appointment, we were greeted up front by new and comforting sounds. Sr. Tess had returned to the building.

I met Sr. Flo first. She said Sr was in the kitchen. I dared to peek in and around the corner. She had stopped to rest by their serving cart her coat still on and reaching out to steady herself and catch a breath. I think there was a moment when neither of us spoke. Then our palms facing up, we asked slowly and deliberately, "So, well ... how are you?!"

Poor Sr. Tess. She appeared to reevaluate herself slowly and carefully.  She then shared she was very tired. We could feel the wrinkles in our forehead scruntch up as we began to scold ligtly, "You are going to bed, right?" She didn't offer an argument. Instead she confirmed, "Yes, I’m going to bed." We felt satisfied as we watched her withdraw herself.

There were a few words spoken with Sr. Flo. I think we’d both found in each other an ease of communication over the last week as we "worried" together. At this point, she’d started fiddling with something in the sink. She seemed to give me a sidelong and humbled escape of thought. She said, that after having gotten in the car ... Sr. Tess had stated firmly ... "No conversation!" Poor Sr. Flo with her love of talk silenced herself instantly. She said to me with a shudder ... not one word had been spoken the whole trip home!

Hehehe ... just gotta love the Sisters!

Things had run well in Sr’s absence, but not without some effort. I was appreciative for the sake of order that Sr. Flo had delegated me so many confidences and decision making responsibilities. We’re yet to hear how this will turn out, when and if Sr. Tess inquires further into matters.

I’m glad they were able to return before the snow, yet after the clients had left for the day. I was appreciative Sr. Went straight to bed without looking at her desk. Next, there will be recovery time, but I believe almost everyone will be much relieved in her having returned.

Friday is a mass day at the center. Father Alfredo will come and lend himself to the cherubs who’ve waited patiently praying for Sr’s return. As far as they were to know. She’s been resting in the back.  God bless them all and to the purposes of Sr. Tess.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck Ayn, I hope you and Sr. Flo will succeed in keeping her resting in bed just as the doctor ordered, even though she seems to be one headstrong lady. A relapse is certainly not a pleasant prospect, so that may be enough to keep her from taking on any tasks anytime soon!