Sunday, May 2, 2004

Drifting by Day not Dollar

Hey! We’re doin good! This is what five days away from the office should feel like. Hehe - that’s as much a work thought as we’re allowing today.

We’ve been wandering around J-land with nothing on our mind but to be absorbed in the life of our friends and acquaintances. We love them both. Seems life draws forth and beckons one to its calling.

Now it is my time to contribute to the forwarding of thoughts and we sit perplexed. What shall come to mind? I thought that for a change, we might leave the day before in peace ... may she rest comfortably in the folds of time.

Our ears tune themselves to a rainstorm in Borneo. Hmm, where is that exactly?  Ahh, here we go...

"Kalimantan or Indonesian Borneo is the place to explore. This world’s third largest island covering the area of 747,000 square kilometer and covered by one of the world’s largest stretches of tropical rain forest through which flows tremendous mighty rivers which are the island’s highway.

Talking about Kalimantan means talking about the ingedious Dayak tribe and the thick rainforest. The Dayak Tribes, the indigenous people of Kalimantan were some of the fierce head-hunters. Today, they are no longer collect grisly trophies; the men hunt with blowguns while the women weave baskets of rattans using age-old patterns and techniques or together hack their fields out of the jungle, burning the brush to provide nutrients to the poor soil."

http://www.baliindonesiatours.com/borneo/about.htm

I didn’t know that! I’m not very familiar with Indonesia, but am happy with the knowledge that the practice of headhunting has abated.

Hmm ... Do you know one would have to bring one’s own torch if one were to visit overnight in Borneo? Light clothing, Long pants, trekking shoes, personal toiletries, towel, light jacket, insect repellent & torch.

Just how would that affect my instincts?

Whoa ... what a switch. Now we’ve got 72 minutes of tundra music ahead of us. Seems this is the land area above theBoreal Forests. My information says that this is mostly like pine trees? Coniferous sounds like carnivores.

We should be catching the subtle difference, less we catch our thoughts up with ... whoops there goes the rest of our mind ... now were dealing with sasquatch thoughts. Like I haven’t enough to do to keep 15 foot primates off my mind!

I was just thinking one of our first history lessons having grown up in Minnesota.  It was about the lumberjack Paul Bunyon and Babe the Blue Ox who created all the lakes.  No seriously, that’s what they teach to kids where I come from!

Here ... see for yourself!

"Imagine, if you can, the excitement that was caused by the birth of Paul Bunyan!

It took five giant storks, working overtime, to deliver him to his parents.

Paul's clothing was so large they had to use wagon wheels for buttons. They used a lumber wagon drawn by a team of oxen as a baby carriage. When he outgrew this his parents put him on a raft off the coast of Maine.

It is said that rocking in his sleep he caused huge waves which sunk many ships.

As a child, Paul played with an axe and crosscut saw like other children played with toys. On his first birthday his father gave him a pet blue ox named Babe.

Babe grew to be seven axehandles and a plug of tobacco wide between the eyes and as a snack would eat thirty bales of hay...wire and all.

Paul and Babe were so large, the tracks they made galivanting around Minnesota filled up and made the 10,000 lakes."

http://www.paulbunyantrail.com/talltale.html

Hehe - don’t want to stay in this frame long - pass to the right?

I think I need a life experience staying at a castle. Hehe my friend said today earlier in an IM that one ... I was a princess, and two ... I am eccentric! I have waited all my years to hear that!! The only childhood goal I ever had was to grow up and be eccentric. Who woulda known ... it’s done happened.

Personally, I blame it on hanging around with Floralilia ... You know there is something not quite right about that girl! 

If I could stay in a castle it would be large, damp and coolish.  Right off the bog.  The doors would be made of split lumbar and the rooms lit by heavy waxen candles.  Hmm, does this story now involve a spinning wheel?

The favorite thing to do though would be running down its wide flight of stairs!  Yes, traveling on urgent business to the library.  A rider would be there to confer a treatice made with the land barron next door.  He'd throw in the deal his middle daughter to marry my youngest son ... 'bout time he took up a relationship!  Maybe throw in some French Hens for good measure :)

Then I would yell to my manservant heheh, "Bring me more port!  Cook begin the roasting of the wild beast!"

Hmm, or I might just take my nighttime medicine ... and some fresh air?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes dear ayn - castle living is not for the faint hearted....drafty echo-y dank places some of them - but there is something to be said for roasting the occasional boar right in the middle of the dining room. cozy.  (and i'm not talking about wild game here darling...)