Wednesday, January 28, 2004

It Would be a Path toward God

Mornin, mornin! Went to bed aching last night because we already wanted to be up and writing. Yesterday, it turned out to be a half truth about staying home. We ended up safely at work by noon after the roads been cleared and salt put down. 

Something happened to us yesterday while we were seeing the morning out. We were thinking, then thinking, then thinking some more. We don’t know what the result of this effort will be, but we wanted to talk about it here if that’s ok...

Soon after we got to work, we caught Sr. Tess in the back offices. In the new addition, there is an activity room, then an office shared by my two best friends, one male, one female. Then there is our office. After she was done with her business, we asked if we could talk to her in private up front. She agreed. We stammered just a few seconds, but the basics of it was, we asked if we could become her live-in companion. There’s such a severe shortage of nuns that they are having trouble keeping everything as once was.

That’s it in a nutshel! The bottom line is that we don’t know how the offer will be accepted. Sr. Tess didn’t say no, that was the major part yesterday. She said that it would have to be discussed by nuns that are higher up. Her direct "boss" is a nun from the bigger program on the north side of the city. We’re the small program on the south side. And, because the biggest of bosses is in from Rome, it would probably be decided at their level.

I am feeling so alive and excited I couldn’t begin to tell you. What I believe the position would entail is that first the other nun who travels from north to south and back again each day (who shouldn’t be driving) would be returned to the program up north. She works there and sleeps here. I would be given one small bedroom in the convent area. There are three "chambers." It would mean letting go of most my earthly possessions, (but not my computer or car). It would mean giving up my kitties.

I would share Sr. Tess’ chapel, living room, kitchen and washroom. I would keep her company in the evenings and weekends(we’d be the only two in the Center), I would help her with driving and chores and I would continue paying for everything, but rent and I would maintain my job (and office).

I know that which ever way it goes, it will be in God’s hand, but while we try to patiently wait, can you tell me pro or con what you think?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an awesome idea. If you can part with the cats that is . . . good luck.

Anonymous said...

You guys must weigh the loss of independence and worldly possessions with the nature of this undertaking. Do you really want to be brought into the life that a Nun must live so completely? Are you that dedicated? I think there must be a lot of soul searching and balance before you make a final decision. Good Luck. My Regards, Bill.

Anonymous said...

Ayn,I think you should give this a lot of soul searching. Are all of you ready to gice up your independence? in any case, PRAYERS for you. V.

Anonymous said...

We're tryin guys! Thing is that it won't be over in just one day's thought over another. I imagine time will go on and we'll still be thinking over the ramifications. I feel I've stepped out onto a new day and I shan't ever go back to the last. I'm realizing I have priorities that have yet to be achieved whether I'm accepted to this challenge, or need wait for the next!