Tuesday, January 27, 2004

A Sisterly Day

When we called the Sister, she said that coming to work today was optional cuz of the snow and warnings in effect. So, after long consultation with the weather readers and tellerers, we decided to take the day off. We’d really like to get to those bills before they start calling or shutting down our current experience.

We had very important visitors at work yesterday. The Mother Superior General and her translator were in from Rome. She comes to the United States about once every three years to pay an official visit with the Sisters here and with their ministries.

I understand there are only about 200 nuns left in this particular order and the big nun knows ALL the little nuns. When she comes, she has lunch, tours the building, learns a little about the program, and she interviews our boss to find out how she’s really doing. She also makes the big decisions if necessary like which programs to close, if we can build an addition, or which nuns to move around.  She's pretty huge important!

When she came back to our office, we automatically stood up ... we figured a hand shake was better than a bow, cuz we haven’t been told to do differently. It was a little funny hearing my boss stumble through her Italian, but she seemed to be doing ok. I wasn’t sure if she liked my new office, but she looked at my computer, then looked at me calmly and asked in English, "Lotus Organizer?"

Oh man, did my heart suddenly fall over. She’s gotta be megacool to have recognized one of my all-time favorite computer programs! From Italy, no less! Sr. says she is really into computer programs. We’ve met her translator too (third time). She remembered us. We remember her because she teases so nice with the clients!

The hard part is after they are all gone ... Sr. came back to our office and plopped down in one of the guest chairs. We are sitting of course on the edge of our seat, "So, so how’d it go?" First thing she said was, "We are on our own. We can stay open as long as Sister is willing to run the program. No other nun assistance in the wind." We tried not to act scared, because our Sr. Tess is late 60's if not 70 years old. She’s still considered to be a "in good shape nun." She said, "we’ll both stay and see it through!" It just made me wanna glow! I’m a keeper!

(Second on top the translating nun that visited)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you,Ayn....I wish Sr. can stay forever. V.

Anonymous said...

Oh V! I sure do hope so too! And, when the sad day comes when she is no more, I hope that she wills me to another as important as she.